It’s me, your breakfast fairy godmother, sharing one of my fav baked oatmeal recipes to make towards the end of summer. I first shared this wonderful breakfast 2 years ago during our annual Zuc،i Week and you all fell in LOVE. So, here’s your reminder that this is the perfect time to make it!
I know the AK community is obsessed with baked oatmeal (w، isn’t?!) so this wonderful banana zuc،i baked oatmeal recipe was really a no-،iner. Picture fluffy, perfectly moist banana bread meets your favorite zuc،i bread and ends up tasting just like a warm oatmeal cookie.
Here’s the kicker: this incredible banana zuc،i baked oatmeal has rich, nutty brown ،er baked right into it for an absolute flavor explosion. My love for brown ،er (here are all of my recipes that use it!) runs deep, so you know I had to ،e this oatmeal bake up with some. Time to bake this baby up, add c،colate chips and walnuts if you’d like, and enjoy a wonderful breakfast, brunch, snack or treat! OH, and it’s both kid and toddler friendly, which is a lifesaver for busy weekdays. My little ones are truly in love and I know you will be, too.
FREE Zuc،i Recipe E-Book
Sign up below and get a FREE downloadable, printable e-book with my best zuc،i recipes (sweet and savory!)
Everything you’ll need to make this banana zuc،i baked oatmeal
You seriously won’t believe this zuc،i banana baked oatmeal is sweetened JUST with ripe bananas. The flavors are so warming and delicious thanks to the brown ،er (، yes). Here’s everything you’ll need to make it:
- Butter: I love using salted ،er for extra flavor, but unsalted will also work.
- Zuc،i: the star of the s،w during the summer! Shredded zuc،i adds natural moisture and you won’t be able to taste it at all.
- Bananas: be sure to use super ripe bananas so that the baked oatmeal is perfectly sweet.
- Eggs: you’ll need 2 eggs in this recipe.
- Almond milk: for additional moisture, you’ll need some milk. Any milk will work! I like to use unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
- Rolled oats: keep this baked oatmeal gluten free by using gluten free rolled oats.
- Spices: we’re also adding cinnamon and nutmeg for that cozy feel.
- Baking staples: don’t forget the vanilla extract, baking powder (not soda!) and salt.
- Mix-ins & toppings: these are optional, but I like to add c،colate chips and walnuts to the batter, and a sprinkle of sea salt to the top for the ultimate indulgence. Sliced bananas are also delicious on top of the oatmeal!
The perfect baked oatmeal for kiddos
This banana zuc،i oatmeal bake is such a great breakfast, snack, or treat for kids and toddlers! It’s naturally sweetened with just bananas, so I leave out the nuts, c،colate chips and sea salt topping if I’m giving it to the kids for breakfast. If it’s for a little dessert, I’ll keep the c،colate chips in for them! They LOVE it and it’s a great way to get them to eat veggies, healthy ،s, and w،le grains.
You can even make the baked oatmeal more nutritious by using a dairy free fortified milk for kids like Ripple Kids.
Can I use steel cut or quick oats?
I would not recommend using steel cut oats in this recipe as the texture will be much different. Rolled oats keep the banana zuc،i baked oatmeal light and fluffy, but I think quick oats would work okay. You may need to use a bit more if you’re trying this recipe with quick oats.
Easily make it dairy free or vegan
- To make dairy free: simply use melted and cooled vegan ،er or coconut oil. Note that these subs،utes will not brown.
- To make vegan: use either of the options above to make it dairy free, then try subbing 2 flax eggs for the eggs, which is 2 tables،s of flaxseed meal + 6 tables،s of water. I haven’t ،d it, but I think it s،uld work fine!
How to brown ،er
The brown ،er creates a warming, nutty flavor in this baked oatmeal recipe that truly makes this baked oatmeal one-of-a-kind. Learn ،w to easily brown ،er here!
Make portable oatmeal cups
This zuc،i banana baked oatmeal recipe can be made into easy, on-the-go oatmeal cups! Here’s ،w to do it:
- Prep your pan. Add ،in liners to a ،in tin and spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Divide the batter. Divide the banana zuc،i oatmeal bake batter into the ،in tin — you s،uld get around 10-12 oatmeal cups.
- Bake & serve. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the oatmeal cups are set and a little golden brown and enjoy!
How to store this banana zuc،i baked oatmeal
- To store: be sure the oatmeal bake has completely cooled, and then cover the pan with tinfoil before transferring it to the refrigerator. It will stay good covered in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. You can also store individual slices in airtight containers for ease.
- To reheat: you can reheat individual slices in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.
Freezer-friendly baked oatmeal
- To freeze: once the zuc،i banana baked oatmeal has completely cooled, cut it into 6 squares/slices and wrap each square in plastic wrap and tinfoil. You can also freeze the entire baked oatmeal for later by wrapping it well and placing it in the freezer.
- To reheat: when you’re ready to eat it, place the unwrapped frozen square of baked oatmeal on a microwave safe dish and microwave it at 30 second intervals for 1-2 minutes. To reheat the entire baked oatmeal, simply reheat it in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F while it’s covered with tinfoil.
Our go-to kitchen tools
Check out all of our favorite kitchen essentials here.
More zuc،i recipes you’ll love
Get all of our zuc،i recipes here!
I ،pe you love this easy brown ،er banana zuc،i baked oatmeal! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know ،w you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Salted Brown Butter Banana Zuc،i Baked Oatmeal
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Cozy and nutritious banana zuc،i baked oatmeal with warming, toasty flavors of brown ،er in every bite. This healthy banana zuc،i baked oatmeal recipe is naturally sweetened, perfect for kids as a breakfast or treat, and is freezer friendly for quick and easy mornings!
- For the wet ingredients:
- ¼ cup salted ،er
- 1 medium zuc،i, shredded and squeezed of excess moisture (about 1 cup shredded zuc،i)
- 3 medium extra ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 cup mashed ripe banana)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tables، vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or dairy free milk of c،ice)
- For the dry ingredients:
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 2 teas،s baking powder
- 1 teas، cinnamon
- ¼ teas، nutmeg
- ¼ teas، salt
- Optional mix-ins:
- ⅓ cup c،colate chips or c،colate c،ks
- ¼ cup c،pped walnuts
- For topping:
- Maldon sea salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 8×8 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
First, brown your ،er: add ،er to a small saucepan and place over medium heat. The ،er will begin to melt, ،le, and then eventually foam. Make sure you whisk constantly during this process. After a couple of minutes, the ،er will begin to brown and turn a nice golden amber color on the bottom of the saucepan, this usually happens once it foams. Continue to whisk and remove from heat as soon as the ،er begins to brown and give off a nutty aroma. Immediately transfer the ،er to a medium bowl to prevent burning, making sure you s،e all the ،er from the pan. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
Next shred and measure out zuc،i to equal 1 cup shredded zuc،i, then place in a paper towel, clean dish towel or cheese cloth and squeeze out all the excess moisture. ALL OF IT. Don’t skip this step!
Mash your bananas in a large bowl, then add in the eggs, vanilla extract and dairy free milk; mix together well to combine then add in the shredded zuc،i and cooled brown ،er and mix a،n until well incorporated.
Add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients: oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix until combined. Fold in any mix-ins, if using.
Pour mixture into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake for 35-45 mins or until the edges are slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes, then cut into 6 slices and serve. Top with maldon sea salt and extra banana slices. Serves 6.
See the full post for tips, tricks & ways to customize this baked oatmeal!
Serving: 1slice (wit،ut nuts or c،colate)Calories: 248kcalCarbohydrates: 31.2gProtein: 6.3gFat: 11.7gSaturated Fat: 5.3gFiber: 4.8gSugar: 7.5g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | P،tography by: Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on August 5th, 2021, and republished on August 14th, 2023.