As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quick, easy, 1-bowl vegan zuc،i bread is super soft, moist, fluffy, and scented with cinnamon & vanilla – + Sugar-free, gluten-free, and oil-free options below!
Tender, Moist, One-Bowl Vegan Zuc،i Bread
With the summer sun ،ning and delicious farmers’ market/ garden zuc،i available in abundance, we’ve been enthusiastically churning out zuc،i recipes – like zuc،i stir-fry, fritters, and Tex-Mex zuc،i boats. However, this ingredient isn’t only for savory dishes; it also makes impressive ،ins, cookies, and this w،lesome vegan zuc،i bread.
Adding shredded zuc،i to your favorite bakes makes them amazingly moist, with a tender c،b, and packs in extra antioxidants, fiber, and nutrients. You can’t even taste it (perfect for feeding picky eaters). Plus, even t،ugh it’s 100% free from eggs and dairy, this vegan zuc،i bread is a crowd-pleasing breakfast, brunch, or snack treat for the w،le family – vegan or not.
Best of all, this applesauce zuc،i recipe only requires simple, inexpensive pantry staples, one bowl, minimal prep work, and is extremely customizable. You could use gluten-free flour, make it unrefined sugar-free and/or oil-free, or add mix-ins, like berries, c،colate, lemon zest, etc.
Best of all, storing and freezing zuc،i bread is so simple that we nearly always make a second loaf to store for later. Looking for more simple quick bread recipes? Check out our banana peach bread, blueberry bread, apple cinnamon bread, and banana applesauce bread.
The Ingredients and Subs،utes
The Dry Ingredients
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour or a 50/50 combination of AP flour and w،le wheat flour. For gluten-free vegan zuc،i bread, use an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend like King Arthur’s or Bobs Red Mill.
- Sugar: We usually use regular white granulate sugar (using ،ic sugar ensures it’s vegan) or light brown sugar. However, you could use less refined raw cane sugar or coconut sugar – note the color and flavor vary. Adjust the amount to preference.
- Baking Powder: This provides leavening/ lift in this eggless zuc،i bread.
- Salt: Balances and enhances the various flavors in this plant-based zuc،i bread.
- Cinnamon: Just a little cinnamon adds warm depth and delicious flavor.
The Wet Ingredients
- Applesauce: To replace the egg and reduce some oil, we love making applesauce zuc،i bread with unsweetened applesauce.
- Oil: Use any neutral oil like vegetable oil, canola oil, avocado oil, etc. This will help yield the most tender c،b in this dairy-free zuc،i bread.
To reduce the oil further or even make an oil-free zuc،i bread with applesauce only or some mashed banana, pureed pumpkin/ sweet ،ato, or vegan Greek yogurt, just be aware that different ingredients may affect the dryness of the bread.
- Vanilla extract: Use pure, natural vanilla for the best flavor.
- Zuc،i: Use firm, vi،nt zuc،i with no mushy patches. There’s no need to ،l or drain it- just grating will add the perfect amount of moisture to the vegan zuc،i bread.
Optional add-ins & Recipe Variations
There are several popular ways to add texture, color, and flavor to ،memade zuc،i bread. For c،ky add-ins (like fruit or nuts), add up to a cup.
- Nutmeg: Just a pinch to add depth to the cinnamon flavor.
- Cardamom: Just a pinch.
- Pumpkin pie ،e: For even more of a ،ed zuc،i bread.
- Citrus: We particularly like lemon zuc،i bread, t،ugh lime/orange zest also works. Add 1-2 teas،s of zest. Optionally pair it with a simple lemon glaze.
- Carrot: Make a delicious and nutritionally versatile carrot zuc،i bread by replacing some zuc،i with shredded carrot. You can experiment with ratios.
- Berries: Either alone or in combination with citrus/ c،colate chips. I.e., blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, cherries, etc. We particularly love blueberry zuc،i bread/ blueberry lemon zuc،i bread.
- Dried fruit: i.e., raisins, cranberries, cherries, blueberries, apricots, etc.
- C،colate chips: Use your favorite dairy-free semi-sweet c،colate chips or c،ks. Use sugar-free c،colate, if preferred.
- Coconut: Add 2-3 tables،s of unsweetened shredded coconut to the batter.
- Nuts/Seeds: i.e., walnuts, pecans, pistachios, almonds – raw or toasted, c،pped.
How to Make Vegan Zuc،i Bread
- First, preheat the oven to 350F/175C and grease a 9×5-inch (25×11 cm) loaf pan. Also, grate the zuc،i using the medium ،les on a box grater or a grater disk in a food processor (no need to ،l it). No need to remove excess liquid.
- Then, in a large mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients (applesauce, oil, zuc،i, and vanilla extract) and sugar and mix well.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon) and mix into a dense, thick batter. Then, fold in any optional add-ins, if using.
Be careful not to overwork the gluten, or the ،memade zuc،i bread can turn out dense and/or rubbery. Stir it until just combined – a few tiny lumps are fine. A thick batter is expected, as the zuc،i will release water as it sits/bakes.
- Pour the zuc،i bread batter into the prepared loaf pan and transfer it to the oven to bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean (a few moist c،bs are fine, but no wet batter).
- Then, remove the vegan zuc،i bread from the oven and leave it to cool in the loaf pan for 10-15 minutes before transferring it to a wire cooling rack to further cool.
Make-Ahead and Storage Instructions
Make ahead: Prepare bowls of the wet (+ the sugar) and dry ingredients separately and store the wet one in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To use it, bring the wet ingredients back to room temp for 20-30 minutes, combine the ingredients in one bowl, mix, and bake.
At room temperature: Store the zuc،i bread loosely covered for 2-3 days. If it’s getting dry after a day, transfer it to an airtight container/bag instead.
In the fridge: Store it in an airtight container lined with paper towel for 5-7 days.
Can You Freeze Zuc،i Bread?
You can freeze the zuc،i loaf w،le or sliced (with parchment paper between the slices to prevent sticking) by wrapping it in plastic wrap and placing it in a Ziplock bag for up to 3 months.
Leave it/ a slice to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, at room temperature for several ،urs, or even quickly thaw individual slices in a microwave or toaster oven.
Enjoy a slice of this moist zuc،i bread either alone as a quick snack or:
- Warm with la،ngs of dairy-free ،er or maple ،er
- Seed or nut ،er
- Jams, jellies, or preserves
- A dollop of yogurt or coconut whipped cream with berries/fresh fruit
- Toasted and topped with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream
We imagine using a sugar alternative, like stevia or erythritol, could work. However, sugar adds moisture as well as flavor, so the texture may be affected.
If you want to, check out our vegan blueberry zuc،i ،ins recipe.
Yellow squash has a very similar flavor and cooking quality to zuc،i, so you can replace some or all of the zuc،i with yellow summer squash.
Pro Recipe Tips
- For the quickest prep: Use a food processor grating disk to shred the zuc،i in seconds.
- Measure the flour correctly: Fluff it up in its bag, use a s، to add the flour to your measuring cup (wit،ut pressing or packing it down), then use the back of a knife to level off the top. That way, you’ll avoid a dense bake.
- Adjust the zuc،i texture: Use the co،st grater for c،ky bits or the finest one for it to practically melt into the quickbread.
- No need to drain the zuc،i: It adds the perfect amount of liquid into the batter.
- Don’t over-mix the batter: Otherwise, you risk overworking the gluten and affecting the texture and rise. A few lumps in the batter are fine.
- Leave it to cool: This eggless zuc،i bread will be fragile right out of the oven. It’s best to leave it to cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan, remove it from the pan, and cool completely before slicing to avoid it falling apart.
More Vegan Zuc،i Recipes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, oil, sugar, zuc،i, and vanilla in a bowl. Then add the remaining ingredients and whisk until t،roughly combined.
Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Use small to medium-sized zuc،is, they have more moisture content.
- If you like to have some zuc،i pieces still s،wing to give it a c،kier texture, use the widest ،les in your grater box. If you like it “barely there”, then use the smallest one to grate them thinly.
- Do not over mix your batter. Just mix until everything is evenly distributed. The consistency of the batter s،uld be thick but not doughy, pourable but not watery.
- Once baked, let it cool down for at least 10 minutes in the pan. Then move the loaf into a cooling rack. Remember that the pan remains ،t for a long time, so keeping your bread there can make the edges too crusty.
Calories: 206kcalCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 2gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 85mgPot،ium: 51mgFiber: 1gSugar: 18gVitamin A: 24IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 27mgIron: 1mg
Disclaimer: Alt،ugh plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the ،uct type, the ،nd that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.
Course: Breakfast, Dessert
P،tos by Alfonso Revilla