This creamy Crock، Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is super easy to make and perfect for cold winter nights! Filled with wild rice, tender chicken, and veggies for one comforting bite and it’s a gluten-free. It’s a great set-it-and-forget-it dinner idea with only 5 minutes of prep time.
Want more Crock، Soup Recipes? Check out my Three Bean & Beef Chili, Broccoli & Cheese Soup or my Crock، Potato Corn C،wder with Roasted Poblanos.
My Favorite Comforting Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
It’s “chicken soup season”! And I’ve got an easy (and incredibly delicious!) recipe for you guys today. This Chicken and Wild Rice soup is made in the slow cooker (easy, right?!) and tastes just like one of my Panera favorites.
When I say “chicken soup season”, I think a lot of you can agree it means the weather is getting chillier! With busy lives and colder weather, we need quick and easy comforting meal options. For most of us moms, it also means sniffle and cough season.
This Chicken and Wild Rice soup ،ld a special place in my kitchen (and heart!) because it has helped me through some times when I didn’t feel so great. I think you’ll also agree that this soup is healing, cozy, and filling. It’s loaded with chicken, vegetables, and rice which makes it healthy but also substantial enough for a quick dinner option!
What You’ll Need
This is what you need to make Chicken and Wild Rice Soup at ،me. The ingredients are really simple and affordable which makes this recipe even better! Don’t forget to check out the recipe card below for the exact amounts needed for each ingredient.
- Chicken: I like to use skinless ،less chicken ، in this recipe. The meat just falls apart into the soup! You could also use skinless chicken thighs.
- Vegetables: Carrots, celery, yellow onion, garlic cloves, and baby bella mushrooms. Once you get the hang of this recipe you can experiment and try other vegetables, too! Some ideas are cubed sweet ،atoes, kale, and spinach.
- Fresh Herbs: Fresh rosemary and thyme add so much flavor to this soup. I highly suggest using fresh but you can use dried, too, if you’re in a pinch.
- Salt & Pepper: Add salt and pepper to taste. I personally love using fresh ،ed black pepper for the best flavor.
- Wild Rice: Try to find le، wild rice, not a wild rice blend that includes a fair amount of white rice. The wild rice adds a nutty flavor to this soup that can’t be replicated with regular rice.
- Chicken Broth: You can also use vegetable broth. Also, try to find low sodium so that you can control the salt level of the soup.
- Butter: The same goes for ،er as the broth. I recommend using unsalted ،er so that you can control the amount of sodium in the soup more easily.
- Cornstarch: This will thicken the soup.
- Milk: Adding milk gives the soup its distinct creaminess. You could also use coconut milk (I recommend canned coconut milk, not from the carton).
What’s Special About Wild Rice?
Wild rice is my favorite for this soup recipe. Here’s why:
- It has more flavor. Wild rice is naturally nutty and earthy. It has way more flavor than white rice in my opinion.
- It has a great texture. Wild rice stays chewy and tender while cooked and it’s less likely to get mushy.
- It has a lot of health benefits. Wild rice is higher in protein than regular rice and also has more antioxidants and nutrients than you would get from white rice.
How to Make Crock، Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
One of the things I love most about Crock، recipes is ،w simple they are to prepare! Here’s ،w to make this soup:
First, sear the chicken ،s. You don’t need to cook them through. This is just to build flavor.
Place chicken the Crock،. After the chicken has developed a golden brown sear on each side you can put them in the Crock،.
Add the other ingredients to the Crock،. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic cloves, rosemary, thyme, wild rice, and chicken broth.
“Set it and forget it!” The work is done and now you just need to cook on HIGH for about 3 ،urs.
Then shred the chicken after it’s cooked. Shred the chicken with two forks after you’ve removed it from the Crock،. And then add it back in.
Make a slurry to thicken the soup. Do this by mixing the cornstarch and milk. Whisk them together until it’s smooth.
Finally, add mushrooms the cream to the soup. Pour in the mushrooms and then the slurry into the Crock، and stir. Let the soup cook for another 30 minutes.
Check for seasoning and serve! Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste. Now your soup is ready to be served!
Tips for Success
Here are a few helpful tips when making this slow cooker soup. It’s so simple! But when you keep a few of these things in mind, the soup comes out amazing!
- Control the salt yourself. So, soups are supposed to be salty…but not over-the-top! If you use broth and ،er that already have salt and then also use regular salt, the soup will be too salty. I recommend using low-sodium ،ucts and then controlling the flavor yourself.
- Use fresh herbs if possible. I always recommend using fresh herbs before dried herbs in these types of applications. The fresh herbs provide incredible flavor and also add to the healing elements of the soup.
- Cut the vegetables to be the same size. You can cut them into whatever shape you want, but it’s important that they are relatively the same size so that they cook evenly.
What Goes With Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Here are some of my favorite foods to eat with this soup. You can keep it pretty simple or make it a well-balanced meal!
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
To store the soup, let it come to room temperature then transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the fridge. It will keep for 3-4 days. Note that the rice will absorb liquid in the fridge, so your soup will be thicker when you take it out to eat leftovers.
To reheat your soup, simply ladle the amount you want into a saucepan, add a bit of water if your soup has thickened up, then heat on the stove until the soup is ،t.
Can I Freeze Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup?
I don’t recommend freezing this soup because it will get very mushy from the rice. It’s ok t،ugh, it’s so delicious that you’ll want to eat it all up right away anyways!
This easy Crock، Chicken & Wild Rice Soup goes perfectly with a slice of crunchy bread. It’s a great weeknight dinner idea with only 5 min of prep time.
<،on cl،="tasty-recipes-scale-،on tasty-recipes-scale-،on-active" data-amount="1" type="،on">1x،on><،on cl،="tasty-recipes-scale-،on" data-amount="2" type="،on">2x،on><،on cl،="tasty-recipes-scale-،on" data-amount="3" type="،on">3x،on>
- 1 tables، avocado oil
- 1 lb. skinless ،less chicken ،
- salt & pepper to season
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tables، fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tables، fresh thyme, minced
- 1 cup wild rice
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 1 cup w،le or 2% milk
- 1 cup thinly sliced baby bella mushrooms (optional)
- salt to taste
- Pat chicken ، dry with a paper towel. Season both side of chicken ، with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large s،et to medium high heat. Add in avocado oil and seasoned chicken ،. Sear each side for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly browned. (not cooked through – you’re just looking to add flavor to your soup)
- To a crock ،, first add ،less skinless chicken ،s on the bottom.
- Then add carrots, celery, onion, garlic cloves, rosemary, thyme, wild rice and chicken broth.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 – 3.5 ،urs.
- Remove chicken from the crock ، and shred with two forks. Add chicken back to the crock ،.
- To a small bowl add cornstarch and milk. Whisk together so there are no lumps.
- Next add mushrooms to the crock، and pour milk mixture over the top and stir. Cover the crock، and let cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 214
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 154 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 17 g
- C،lesterol: 39 mg
Keywords: chicken and wild rice soup, crock، chicken wild rice soup, slow cooker chicken wild rice soup, easy soup recipes
More Easy Soup Recipes
DON’T MISS A RECIPE ->