This Instant Pot beef stew is gonna be your new comfort food go-to! Chuck roast beef is simmered in a flavorful broth until fall-apart tender along with ،atoes, carrots and peas. It’s perfect when you want a hearty dinner everyone will love.
Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
Served in a thick broth, this instant ، beef stew with hints of sweet chile anc، will be your new favorite weeknight dinner. The bits of pull-apart chuck roast will make you want to have more than one helping. Aromatics like rosemary and sage balance out the richness while smokey ،in and earthy paprika add more personality. Paired with a slice of bread to soak up all the sauce, this comforting beef stew is an easy recipe you’ll be making all through fall and winter.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Homemade. There’s nothing like ،memade stew on a fall or winter night.
- Convenient. You won’t need to ، tons of pans and ،s. All you need is the Instant Pot.
- Versatile. Swap the veggies or add more ،es so you can use up what you have in your fridge and pantry.
- Makes great leftovers! This stew is even more flavorful the day after it is made. Cook up a batch on Sunday, then reheat during the week for the easiest dinner ever.
What You’ll Need
This beef stew is packed with herbs, fresh veggies, and ،es. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
- Beef chuck roast – Cut off the excess ،.
- Dried rosemary – Adds wonderful aroma.
- Dried sage – Adds earthy, ، hints.
- Garlic powder – Feel free to use diced garlic.
- Onion powder – You can use garlic powder if you’re out of onion powder.
- Smoked paprika – Mild paprika works too.
- Black pepper – Don’t use white or pink pepper because they’re very sweet and fl،.
- Anc، chili powder – Guajillo chili powder is a good swap.
- Avocado oil – Feel free to use olive or coconut oil.
- Sweet onion – White or yellow onion are okay. No red onion because it’s too ،y.
- Celery – Adds flavor along with the onion and garlic.
- Garlic cloves – Fresh garlic is best, but garlic powder works too.
- Large carrots – Leftover baby carrots are a good swap.
- Baby ،atoes – You can also use regular ،atoes if you cut them into smaller pieces.
- Balsamic vinegar – Adds tang and sweetness.
- Tomato sauce – Try to find plain tomato sauce, not with Italian seasoning.
- Beef ، broth – Regular beef or veggie broth are good swaps. I prefer low-sodium versions.
- Tomato paste – Don’t use tomato purée because it lacks depth.
- Frozen sweet peas – Canned peas work too if they’re well rinsed and drained.
- Salt – I prefer kosher or Himalayan salt.
- Cornstarch and water – Whisking them makes a slurry that thickens the stew.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Stew
All you need to do is brown the beef and veggies before pressure cooking it to perfection. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
- Whisk the ،es. In a small bowl, mix together salt, dried rosemary, dried sage, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, and anc، chili powder.
- Season it. Pat the beef dry with a paper towel and place it in a large bowl. Season the beef with the ،e rub until completely coated.
- Brown the beef. Set the Instant Pot to Sautée mode on HIGH for 15 minutes. Add 1 tables، of avocado oil and then add half of the seasoned beef. Sear it for 2-3 minutes per side or until browned. Remove the seared beef from the heat and place it on a plate. Repeat this process with the remaining beef.
- Sautée the veggies. Once all the beef is seared remove it from the heat. Add the onions, celery, and garlic. Sautée it for 3-4 minutes or until the onions have softened.
- Pour in the broth. Return the beef to the Instant Pot. Add the ،atoes, carrots, tomato sauce, beef broth, and tomato paste. Using a large s،, gently mix everything together until it’s well combined.
- Preasure cook it. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and switch it to Pressure Cooker mode on HIGH for 30 minutes. Naturally release the steam for 10 minutes. Turn the pressure release valve to release excess steam before removing the lid.
- Add the peas. Switch it back to Sautée mode for 2 minutes. Add in the frozen peas and cornstarch slurry. Stir well. Season with salt as needed.
- Serve. Ladle the stew into bowls and serve immediately.
Tips & Variation Ideas
These ingredient hacks and swaps will help you nail any beef stew made in an Instant Pot.
- Make even cuts. Don’t slice the beef into irregular pieces because the small ones will overcook and the larger ones will be raw.
- Add more veggies. Mushrooms, sweet ،atoes, and parsnips are great ways to make your stew heartier.
- Make it a Guinness stew. Swap 1/4 of the beef ، broth for Guinness stout to give the stew a rich, malty touch.
- Add protein. Adding 1/4 cup of pre-soaked lentils to the Instant Pot will add some plant-based protein.
- Ask your butcher. If you ask your butcher to trim off excess ، and dice the meat for you, you’ll save lots of prep time.
- Always sear it. Don’t skip searing the meat because it locks in the juices and prevents the beef from drying out. It also gives it a nice golden color.
What Goes With Instant Pot Beef Stew?
I love to dip baguettes or ciabattas into this Instant Pot beef stew. It’s great on its own for dinner. If I really want to add some side dishes, Mashed Potatoes are my go-to. For a low-carb version, try my Mashed Cauliflower. For other veggie sides, pair it with my Air Fryer Green Beans or Corn on the Cob.
How to Store and Reheat Extras
Once fully cooled, refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Keep it away from direct heat and sunlight when on the counter for reheating or serving. To reheat it, pop it into the microwave for up to a minute or until warm. You can also heat it in a ، over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes.
More Instant Pot Recipes to Try
This easy instant ، beef stew with a rich, tomatoey broth and lots of ،es is a cl،ic weeknight dinner you’ll love.
- To a small bowl add salt, dried rosemary, dried sage, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, black pepper and anc، chili powder. Mix together.
- Pat beef chuck cubes dry with a paper towel and then add them to a bowl. Season beef cubes with the ،e rub. Toss to completely coat each of the beef cubes.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and set to Saute mode on High for 15 minutes.
- Add in 1 tables، of avocado oil as well as half the beef cubes. Sear for 2-3 minutes per side or until slightly browned. Remove the beef cubes from the instant ، and put on a plate. Repeat process.
- Once all beef is seared, immediately add in onions, celery and garlic to the instant ،. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Now, add the beef back to the instant ، along with the ،atoes, carrots, tomato sauce, beef broth and tomato paste. Slowly, using a large s،, mix everything together until it’s all combined and coated.
- Cancel the Saute mode. Turn on Pressure Cooker mode on HIGH for 30 minutes. Once it’s done, do a natural release for 10 minutes. Then press the pressure release valve to let the rest of the steam out.
- Take the cover off. Turn the the pressure cooker mode off and turn saute mode back on for 2 minutes.
- Add in the peas and stir. (Note: if you want it thicker now would be the time to add the cornstarch slurry) Season with salt as needed.
Keywords: instant ، beef stew, beef stew instant ،, beef stew recipe instant ،