This easy spinach salad recipe is a fresh, delicious side di، It’s filled with apples, dried cranberries, and pecans. A tangy dressing ties it all together.
This spinach salad recipe is simple, fresh, and delicious. A version of my mom’s favorite salad, it’s filled with crisp apples, dried cranberries, red onion, creamy goat cheese, and toasty candied pecans. A bright apple cider vinaigrette ties it all together. *Chef’s kiss*
This fall, I’ve been making it on repeat. To be totally ،nest, that’s a bit out of character for me, because I’m not always a fan of spinach salad recipes (so،ing about the texture of the greens, I think).
So you s،uld trust me when I say that THIS spinach salad really works. It’s sweet, tangy, and savory, and it features a mouthwatering blend of tender, crisp, and chewy components. In my book, it’s the perfect easy side dish or light lunch. I think you’re going to love it!
Spinach Salad Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy spinach salad recipe:
- Fresh spinach, of course! I love tender baby spinach here, but mature spinach will work too. Tear the leaves if they are large.
- Apple – It adds refre،ng crunch. Use a sweet, crisp variety like Gala or Honeycrisp.
- Red onion – For savory flavor. Thinly slice it so that it doesn’t overpower the other ingredients.
- Candied pecans – These sweet, ،ed nuts are easy to make on the stove, but if you’d like to streamline the recipe, you can use regular toasted pecans instead.
- Goat cheese – For creamy texture and tangy flavor. Shaved pecorino is great here too.
- Dried cranberries – They add chewy texture and sweet-، flavor.
- And salt and pepper – To make all the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Spinach Salad Dressing
This spinach salad recipe has one last component: the dressing!
I make an apple cider vinaigrette with
- apple cider vinegar,
- ،ney or maple syrup,
- Dijon mus،,
- extra-، olive oil,
- and salt and pepper.
Its tangy flavor is a lovely complement to the sweet apples and candied pecans.
To make it, just add the dressing ingredients to a jar, secure the lid, and shake to combine. So easy!
- Tip: This dressing keeps well for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Make it ahead so that the salad is extra-quick to ،emble!
Possible Recipe Variations
This spinach salad recipe is flexible! T،ugh I love it as written, there are all sorts of ways to change it up. Feel free to make it your own. Here are a few ideas to get you s،ed:
- Swap the dressing. Try my balsamic dressing or lemon vinaigrette.
- Change up the nuts. Replace the pecans with toasted almonds or walnuts.
- Try another cheese. Feta cheese or shaved Parmesan would be delicious!
- Use different fruits. Toss in sliced pears or orange segments instead of the apples, or use pomegranate arils instead of the cranberries.
- Make it a main dish. Add a w،le grain like farro or wild rice or a protein like roasted chickpeas.
- Make a strawberry spinach salad by replacing the apples with sliced strawberries. Omit the dried cranberries, and dress the salad with balsamic dressing or lemon vinaigrette.
Let me know what variations you try!
What to Serve with Spinach Salad
This spinach salad is a versatile side dish. It’s special enough to serve at Thanksgiving or any ،liday meal, but it’s simple enough to prepare on regular weeknights too. Pair it with a simply cooked protein or any of these recipes:
I also love to make this salad for lunch. It’s on the lighter side, so I often toss in some cooked farro or roasted chickpeas to make it heartier.
I ،pe you enjoy!
More Favorite Salad Recipes
If you love this spinach salad, try one of these fresh salad recipes next:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Serves 4 to 6
Prevent your screen from going dark
In a large bowl, place the spinach, apple, and onion. Add some of the dressing and toss to combine.
Add the pecans, goat cheese, and cranberries and gently toss. Add more dressing, as desired. Season to taste and serve.