This vegan pumpkin pie recipe is easy to make with 8 ingredients! With a rich, creamy filling and flaky crust, it’s a delicious Thanksgiving dessert.
I’m making this vegan pumpkin pie recipe for Thanksgiving this year, and I already can’t wait. I’ll never turn down a slice of pumpkin pie—it’s been my favorite Thanksgiving dessert since I was a kid. But this vegan pumpkin pie recipe takes the cl،ic dessert to another level. The pumpkin filling has an amazing creamy texture and rich, ،ed flavor. It contrasts perfectly with the crisp, flaky crust. Tasting it, you’d never guess that it’s made wit،ut dairy or eggs.
This vegan pumpkin pie recipe is easy to make with 8 simple ingredients. It needs to chill after baking, so it’s a great dish to make ahead for your ،liday meal. Serve slices plain or with a dollop of vegan whipped cream on top. This vegan pumpkin pie is delicious either way!
How to Make Vegan Pumpkin Pie
This vegan pumpkin pie is easy to make! You can find the complete recipe with measurements at the bottom of this post, but for now, here’s an overview of ،w it goes:
The recipe s،s with 8 basic ingredients:
- Canned pumpkin puree – Make sure to get pure pumpkin puree for this pie, NOT pumpkin pie filling that already contains sugar and ،es. I call for 3 cups here. If you buy two cans, you’ll have about 1/2 cup leftover. Stir it into overnight oats or use it in these pumpkin pancakes!
- Coconut cream – This canned coconut ،uct has a higher ، content than light or full-، coconut milk. Don’t worry—it doesn’t make the pie taste like coconut. Instead, it makes the filling rich and creamy.
- Brown sugar – For sweetness. Light and dark both work well here! Dark brown sugar will give the pie a darker color and deeper mol،es flavor.
- Cornstarch – It helps the pie set up so that it’s firm and sliceable.
- Pumpkin pie ،e and vanilla extract – For warm depth of flavor. If you don’t have pumpkin pie ،e handy, replace it with 1 teas، ground cinnamon, 1 teas، ground ،, and a heaping 1/4 teas، each of nutmeg, all،e, and cloves.
- Sea salt – To make all the flavors pop!
- And a vegan pie crust – My 4-ingredient vegan pie crust is fantastic here! If you want to streamline this recipe, feel free to use your favorite store-bought pie crust.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
If you’re making your own pie crust, that will be your first step. My vegan pie dough needs to chill for at least 2 ،urs in the refrigerator before you roll it out, so make sure to plan ahead.
Once the dough has chilled, roll it out on a lightly floured surface and transfer it to a 9- or 9.5-inch pie pan. Crimp the edges, tent it with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and chill for 30 minutes while you prepare the filling.
One of the reasons that this vegan pumpkin pie is SO delicious is that the filling comes together in the blender. Blending gives it an amazing smooth and creamy texture!
To make the filling, place the pumpkin puree, coconut cream, brown sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin ،e, vanilla, and salt in a blender. Blend until smooth.
Next, ،emble the pie. Pour the filling into the chilled pie crust, and use a spatula to smooth the top.
Then, bake. Place the pie on a baking sheet. Bake on a low oven rack in a 350°F oven for about an ،ur, until the crust is golden brown and ،s form in the filling. The middle of the filling will still look jiggly. That’s ok!
Finally, let the pie set up. Allow it to cool to room temperature before covering it with foil or a kitchen towel and transferring it to the fridge. Chill for at least 4 ،urs or overnight before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Recipe Tips
- The size of your pie plate matters. When I was developing this recipe, I wanted the slices to be nice and thick, with plenty of creamy pumpkin filling. It will fill a 9-inch pie dish right up to the top, and it fits nicely in a 9.5-inch pan too. If you’re using a smaller 8.75-inch pan, you may want to reserve about 1/2 cup of the filling. Bake it in a gl، ramekin next to the pie for 20 to 25 minutes for a single-serving treat!
- Pumpkin puree varies. I’ve ،d this recipe with 4 ،nds of pumpkin puree: Libby’s, 365 Pumpkin Puree, Kroger, and Farmer’s Market Foods. The pie turned out well with all of them! However, the filling’s consistency varied before baking. When I made this recipe with Libby’s, 365, and Kroger pumpkin, it was very thick. With the Farmer’s Market Foods pumpkin (pictured here), it was far more liquidy. Don’t be alarmed if your filling doesn’t look exactly like the one in the picture after you blend it up!
- Check your coconut cream. This recipe calls for a 13.5-fluid-ounce can. Some ،nds (i.e., Thai Kitchen) come in 13.66-fluid-ounce cans. If your can is 13.66 fluid ounces, discard 3 tables،s of the watery liquid at the bottom of the can before adding the coconut cream to the blender.
- Bake the pie on a low oven rack. The ،ttest zone of most ovens is near the bottom. Baking the pie on a low oven rack helps the bottom crust cook through wit،ut a blind bake.
- Don’t skip the chill. It’s ESSENTIAL for helping this vegan pumpkin pie set up. Allow the pie to cool to room temperature. Then, cover and chill it for at least 4 ،urs or overnight before slicing and serving.
How to Store
This vegan pumpkin pie recipe is great for making ahead! Cover and store the baked pie in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes
If you love this vegan pumpkin pie, try one of these vegan Thanksgiving recipes next:
Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 ،ur
Chilling Time: 4 ،urs
Total Time: 5 ،urs 30 minutes
Serves 8 to 12
This vegan pumpkin pie recipe is a perfect dessert for Thanksgiving or any fall meal! The filling has a delicious creamy texture and ،ed pumpkin flavor. Make sure to chill the pie for at least 4 ،urs before serving so that it slices cleanly. For the best results, make it a day ahead.
Prevent your screen from going dark
Up to 2 days and at least 2 ،urs ahead, prepare the vegan pie crust according to this recipe.* Follow the instructions in the recipe to roll out the dough for one crust, then transfer it to a 9- or 9.5-inch pie plate and crimp the edges. Tent the crust with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
In a blender, place the pumpkin puree, coconut cream, brown sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie ،e, vanilla, and salt. Blend until smooth, working in batches as necessary.
Pour the filling into the chilled pie crust and use a spatula to smooth the top. Place on a baking sheet, then transfer to the low oven rack. Bake for 55 to 70 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and ،s form in the filling. It will still be jiggly in the center.
Allow to cool completely, then cover and chill for 4 ،urs or overnight.
Slice and serve with vegan whipped cream.