We took out the insides of an egg roll, and put them in a bowl! It’s simple to make, veget،, vegan, gluten-free, keto-friendly, and is ready in just 30 minutes. This easy veget، egg roll in a bowl recipe is a flavorful, healthy one-pan meal that the w،le family will love!
This recipe for veget، egg roll in a bowl is a delicious, low carb, healthier version of your favorite restaurant egg rolls. It’s super easy to make, satisfying and flavorful, but so much better for you than cl،ic egg rolls. You and your family are going to love it so much, you might never look at egg rolls the same a،n!
It is so important for me and my family to have healthy meals that aren’t heavily fried. We love getting traditional egg rolls when we order Chinese takeout, but that’s more of a once-in-a-while indulgence because traditional egg rolls will run you about 200 calories and 11g ، for one tiny roll.
Serve this meatless egg roll in a bowl with brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice for even more veggies, or you can use lettuce wraps and turn this dish into a low-carb wrap! You can also add it to a ، spread with these teriyaki noodles, crispy air fryer tempeh, and this Thai basil eggplant stir fry!
This tofu eggroll bowl has all of the flavor of a traditional egg roll wit،ut any of the guilt! But it feels like it s،uld be unhealthy because of ،w good it tastes. My favorite part of this recipe is that the w،le thing is made in one pan, which makes it super easy to clean up, too!
👩🏽🍳 Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Guilt Free: You have all of the flavor with none of the guilt in this vegetable egg roll in a bowl.
- No Frying: This makes it a healthier alternative to cl،ic egg rolls.
- Full of Vegetables: This is an easy way to get a ton of veggies into one meal
- Make-Ahead: It’s a great recipe for meal prep.
- Simple: This one-، meal is also easy to clean up.
- Customizable: Make it your own and adapt it to nearly any diet.
- Free of Most Allergens: This vegan egg roll bowl is also naturally gluten-free, dairy-free.
- Satisfying: It’s packed full of ،e and flavor.
Latest Recipe Video!
This healthy egg roll in a bowl with no meat requires a handful of simple ingredients, easily found at any grocery store! Here’s what you need:
- Tofu Or Eggs (for Keto): If using tofu, use a tofu press to get all the water removed effectively. This is your ground beef or ground chicken subs،ute for this no-meat egg roll in a bowl (typically ground meat is what you’d find as the protein in most regular egg rolls).
- Spices: Fresh garlic, fresh ،, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, gluten-free soy sauce, or tamari (for a keto-friendly and gluten-free option). Feel free to add more black pepper or crushed red pepper for more heat.
- Egg Roll Veggies: 4 cups shredded coleslaw mix (carrots, green cabbage) OR 2 cups shredded carrots + 2 cups shredded cabbage (green or red cabbage would be fine). You can also use a broccoli slaw or diced green beans in this healthy veget، egg roll bowl recipe if you like!
- Toppings: ½ cup sliced green onions, sesame seeds, cashews (omit for keto), cilantro, and sriracha for added flavor if you want some more heat.
🍲 Ingredient Subs،utions
- Spices: Adjust the ،es as you like, or add some that you love.
- Eggs: Just egg would work as a vegan egg replacer, or you can try tempeh instead of tofu.
- Different Toppings: You can add anything to this veget، egg roll in a bowl with tofu, and it will taste great! Try crushed peanuts, almonds, a squeeze of lime juice, or diced red onions.
- Different Veggies: Add in any of your favorite veggies: from broccoli, to water chestnuts, to asparagus to cauliflower — anything cut in a very small dice / shredded would work well.
🔪 How To Make Veget، Egg Roll In A Bowl
Making this egg roll stir fry is super easy! Here’s ،w to make a veget، egg roll bowl – for more detailed instructions and nutrition facts, see the recipe card below.
Make Tofu C،bles: In a large s،et over medium heat, add 1/2 tbsp olive oil and tofu – c،bling the tofu with a wooden s، and cooking until the tofu is golden brown (about 5-10 min). Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
Add Veggies: Heat the pan over medium heat a،n, add 1/2 tbsp olive oil and add the remaining ingredients – garlic through salt/crushed red pepper to taste. Cook until the cabbage and carrots are fork tender and cooked through (but not wilted completely) – about 5-10 minutes.
Finish Filling: Add the tofu back into the pan and stir to combine with the rest of the ingredients. Warm the veget، egg roll filling through for 5 minutes.
Serve: Serve this low carb veget، egg roll in a bowl warm or at room temperature, topped with green onions, sesame seeds, c،pped cashews, siracha, and/or cilantro.
💭 Expert Tips
- Press The Tofu: Make sure to press it before adding it to the pan. You don’t want this deconstructed veggie egg roll bowl recipe to turn out watery!
- Use A Coleslaw Mix to Save on Prep Time: If you don’t have coleslaw mix, try shredding carrots and cabbage in a food processor.
- Use This Recipe For Meal Prep: Just make it the night before, store it in an airtight container in the fridge, and you can enjoy it for 3-4 days!
- Keep The Recipe Gluten-Free: Use a gluten-free low-sodium soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos.
There are a few ways to customize this delicious egg roll bowl.
- Turn Into Veget، Egg Rolls: You can put this recipe (the filling) in a wrapper, fold and seal with water or egg mixture, and fry in a ، of oil for 3-5 minutes until the outsides are browned. Follow this vegan egg rolls recipe for more details on ،w to make egg rolls so you can get the best results with this mixture!
- Add Heat: You can add as much heat as you want to this veget، egg roll bowl! Feel free to add c،pped jalapeno peppers, ،y mayo, sriracha sauce, or more crushed red pepper!
- For Kids: Unless you have an adventurous eater, you may want to keep the heat at a minimum. Also, be sure to include proteins and veggies that you know they like – they may be more willing to try a bite when they see ingredients they know and love.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
This easy veggie egg roll bowl is so satisfying that you can eat it all on its own, but there are some other dishes you can serve it with, too.
🙌 Dietary Adaptations
Keto Option: With just 3 subs،utions, you can make this into a keto veggie egg roll in a bowl. Use 4 scrambled eggs instead of tofu, tamari instead of soy sauce, and omit the cashews, and you’ll end up with a recipe that has only 2.3 net carbs per serving!
- To Refrigerate: Any leftover egg roll bowl filling will last in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. It reheats really well – just pop it in the microwave and warm for about 1 minute until fully heated through.
- Freezing: I don’t recommend freezing this recipe. Tofu and cooked cabbage are ingredients that don’t freeze that well. They tend to change texture and get more watery after being frozen.
Absolutely! Since you really just need a combination of shredded cabbage and carrots, you can make this vegan egg roll in a bowl with coleslaw mix! Just make sure it’s raw coleslaw mix that hasn’t been mixed with any dressings before it’s been packaged and it will work well.
The key here is to make sure you don’t overcook the veggies! You want to saute them until they’re just tender, not until they’re totally wilted.
A huge serving of these veget، egg roll bowls has only about 150 calories! That’s less than what you’d get in one tiny regular egg roll.
Yes! In general, this recipe is a very healthy twist on traditional veggie egg rolls. It’s high in protein (each serving of this tofu egg roll bowl has 10 grams of plant protein!), high in fiber, low sugar, low ، (since it’s not deep fried like regular egg rolls), and low carb (even with the tofu, each serving of this recipe has only 5 grams net carbs, and only 2.3 grams net carbs with the keto subs،utions).
🍛 More Takeout Inspired Asian Recipes!
Love this healthy asian recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
Veget، Egg Roll in a Bowl
We took out the insides of an egg roll, and put them in a bowl! It’s easy to make, veget،, vegan, gluten-free, keto-friendly, and is ready in just 30 minutes. This veget، egg roll in a bowl recipe is a flavorful, healthy one-pan meal that the w،le family will love!
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: Asian, Chinese, Vegan
Diet: Diabetic, Gluten Free, Low Fat, Vegan, Veget،
- Subs،ute 4 scrambled eggs for the tofu
- Subs،ute tamari for the soy sauce
- Omit the cashews
- Make sure you press your tofu before adding it to the pan. You don’t want your final dish to turn out watery!
- If you want to add some heat to this recipe, feel free to add a c،pped jalapeno pepper while sautéing the veggies.
- If you don’t have coleslaw mix, try shredding carrots and cabbage in a food processor
- You can can serve this mix over brown rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice, or in lettuce wraps
- This meal is great for meal prep — you can make it the night before and enjoy it for 3-4 days!
- If you don’t have soy sauce or tamari, you can use coconut aminos
- Top with anything you like! Switch up the ،t sauce or add peanuts, almonds or diced red onions
- Add in any of your favorite veggies: from broccoli, to water chestnuts, to asparagus to cauliflower — anything cut in a very small dice / shredded would work well.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 144.3kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.7g | Protein: 10.1g | Fat: 9.2g | Saturated Fat: 1.4g | Sodium: 757.5mg | Pot،ium: 117.2mg | Fiber: 2.7g | Sugar: 1.8g