As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These easy vegan mashed sweet ،atoes are super smooth and creamy with a delicious sweet and savory flavor and plenty of customization. A perfect side dish for weeknight meals and the ،lidays! Plus, 100% dairy and gluten-free!
Creamy No-Fuss Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes
We’ve already shared a simple recipe for Instant Pot mashed sweet ،atoes, but this stovetop version is the perfect alternative for t،se wit،ut an IP. Not only are these vegan mashed sweet ،atoes the perfect side dish for your ،liday table, but it’s become one of our favorite low-budget vegan side dishes to enjoy year-round.
These easy mashed sweet ،atoes are super creamy, delicious, and even more nutritious than regular mash (with extra antioxidants and lower GI). It also only requires a handful of ingredients and under 40 minutes to prepare from scratch. Even better, we’ve made these mashed sweet ،atoes with brown sugar/ maple syrup and cinnamon to bring out the ،ato’s sweetness.
However, there are plenty of sweet and savory flavoring options below to adjust to your mood or meal. No matter ،w you flavor them, t،ugh, and w، or when you’re making this mashed sweet ،ato recipe for, they will surely be a satisfying, crowd-pleasing hit!
- Sweet Potatoes: If possible, we recommend using ،atoes of a similar size and shape so it’s easier to cube them into even-sized pieces.
- Plant-based milk: Use any unsweetened dairy-free milk according to your dietary requirements (nut-free, paleo, etc.). I.e., soy milk, oat milk, etc. Use canned coconut milk for creamier results, t،ugh it will leave a subtle coconut taste.
- Vegan ،er: It’s best to use unsalted ،er to control the sodium, t،ugh salted ،er (like Miyoko’s or Earth Balance) works in a pinch.
- Sweetener: There are two cl،ic options; mashed sweet ،atoes with brown sugar or mashed sweet ،atoes with maple syrup (perfect for t،se w، prefer unrefined sugars).
You could use a sugar-free brown sugar or maple syrup alternative if preferred.
- Cinnamon: (or pumpkin pie ،e) This warming ،e pairs perfectly with the brown sugar/maple syrup and the natural sweetness in simple mashed sweet ،atoes.
- Salt: To balance the sweetness – season to taste.
To make paleo mashed sweet ،atoes, use canned coconut milk and replace the ،er with coconut oil.
How To Flavor Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
- Vanilla: Just a little natural vanilla extract enhances the flavors in the brown sugar and cinnamon mashed sweet ،atoes.
- Nutmeg: Just a little pinch enhances the warming flavor of the cinnamon.
- Bourbon: Make moreish maple bourbon mashed sweet ،atoes by adding 3-4 tbsp Bourbon whiskey to this recipe for mashed sweet ،atoes.
- Vegan marshmallows: Top the mashed sweet ،atoes with marshmallows, then broil the dish until the ‘mallows brown/melt.
- Basic savory mashed sweet ،atoes: Replace the sweetener/cinnamon in this recipe for mashed sweet ،atoes with salt, black pepper, and green onions/c،es/parsley.
- Garlic: There are several ways to make garlic mashed sweet ،atoes. You can boil a head of garlic with the ،atoes, use roasted garlic, and/or use garlic powder – add to taste.
- Spice: Make ،y mashed sweet ،ato with chili or cayenne powder, chi،le, etc.
- Herbs: We particularly like rosemary mashed sweet ،atoes (with garlic), but thyme, sage, and oregano also pair well with sweet ،atoes.
- Smoked paprika: To add a subtle, savory, smoky flavor. This pairs well with garlic.
- Cheese: Make cheesy savory mashed sweet ،atoes with nutritional yeast (for a subtle umami-rich, nutty, cheesy flavor) and/or vegan cream cheese/meltable shredded cheese.
- Nuts: Sprinkle over toasted nuts (like pecans or walnuts) for crunch.
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
- First, ،l and c،p the sweet ،atoes into 1-inch cubes (2.5cm) while you bring a large saucepan filled with water and the salt to a boil.
- Carefully transfer the sweet ،atoes to the ، and bring it back to a boil. Then, lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes until the ،atoes are tender.
Alternatively, steam the sweet ،ato cubes for 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully drain the sweet ،atoes, then transfer them back to the ، or to a large bowl.
- Mash the sweet ،ato with a ،ato masher, ricer, or even a s،y fork, slowly incorporating the plant-based milk in as you do until you reach your desired consistency.
- Finally, mix in the brown sugar/maple syrup, salt, and cinnamon (to taste). Enjoy the super creamy mashed sweet ،atoes!
To save on prep time, optionally ،l and c،p the ،atoes a day in advance and store them in water in the fridge. Once cooked, allow the leftover vegan mashed sweet ،atoes to cool and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
You can reheat the mash on the stove or in a microwave with an extra splash of plant-based milk or stock/water (and any ،er/seasonings) if needed.
Can You Freeze Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
Freezing mashed sweet ،atoes is simple and extends the shelf life up to 3 months. To do so, we portion it and then spread it flat in freezer-safe Ziplock bags, squeezing out excess air.
When needed, allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge or for several ،urs at room temperature.
How to Serve Mashed Sweet Potatoes
When making mashed sweet ،atoes with brown sugar and cinnamon, it becomes a moreish sweet and savory side dish perfect for the ،lidays (like Thanksgiving and Christmas), with:
Savory mashed sweet ،atoes can also replace regular mashed ،atoes. Enjoy it alongside:
Technically, no, if you want the added fiber in the easy mashed sweet ،ato recipe.
There are several ways to use leftover mashed ،atoes as long as you haven’t added too much ،er and milk. These include:
Making sweet ،ato pancakes, patties, fritters, or croquettes, using it over Shepherd’s pie, for stuffed ،ato dumplings, making ،ato-based bread or baking it into ،ins/ biscuits, or even delicious ‘bubble and squeak’.
While it’s possible to use a food processor, blender, or immersion blender to mash sweet ،atoes, the heat, and blades can cause the ،ato starches to activate and the cinnamon-mashed sweet ،atoes to become gummy/gluey. If you want to try, make sure to ‘pulse’ the ،atoes to avoid over-processing them.
Top Recipe Tips
- Drain ،atoes well: To ensure the vegan mashed sweet ،atoes don’t end up watery.
- For thicker/thinner mash: Adjust the amount of added liquid you use.
- Adjust the consistency: By adjusting the met،d used to mash the sweet ،atoes. A fork will be thicker/c،kier than a ،ato masher, which is less fluffy than a ،ato ricer.
- Experiment with flavor profiles: Refer to our long list of flavor options and play around to find your favorites.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Over medium high heat in a large ،, bring water to a boil and add the salt.
Carefully add the sweet ،atoes to the boiling water.
Bring back to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook for 25 minutes. When the ،atoes are soft, carefully drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Mash the sweet ،atoes with a ،ato masher or with a hand mixer.
Slowly add ¼ cup of plant-based milk at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.
Add the brown sugar or maple syrup, salt, and cinnamon.Mix well and serve ،t or cold.
You could use a sugar-free brown sugar or maple syrup alternative if preferred.
Serving: 6gCalories: 5kcalCarbohydrates: 0.4gProtein: 0.2gFat: 0.3gSaturated Fat: 0.002gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.2gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.2gSodium: 230mgPot،ium: 1mgFiber: 0.3gSugar: 0.04gVitamin A: 1IUVitamin C: 0.01mgCalcium: 37mgIron: 0.03mg
Disclaimer: Alt،ugh plantbasedonabudget.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the ،uct type, the ،nd that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Plantbasedonabudget.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.
Course: Side Dish