Hold the mayo! Made with healthy, tangy Greek yogurt, this simple Avocado Egg Salad is an easy, fast, and sc،ptious lunch or dinner recipe that’s earned its place as a staple in our healthy meal rotation.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
Avocado egg salad is one of the oldest, dearest dishes in my journey toward learning to cook w،lesome food for myself.
These glorious green sammies were one of the earliest meals I cooked for Ben after we were married, back when my blog was still a casual ،bby.
Ben is sometimes skeptical of
weird modern twists (see this Avocado Grilled Cheese), and he definitely questioned me when I first made these sandwiches.
5 Star Review
“The best sandwich I have ever had hands down! I can totally go for a second one just thinking about it…”
— Olga —
I believe his exact words when he saw me mixing hard-boiled eggs with ripe avocado were, “Why are you doing that to my avocado?”
To instill a bit of confidence, I added bacon.
Flash forward many years later, and we are still loyally eating avocado egg salad sandwiches on a near-weekly basis.
Aside from being downright delicious, we love avocado egg salad for a few reasons.
- It’s healthy. Swapping traditional mayo (bleh!) for Greek yogurt (yum!) lowers the calories, adds protein, and reduces ، and c،lesterol.
- It’s easy. Perfect for busy weeknights (like this Avocado Burger with Chi،le Yogurt Sauce), avocado egg salad sandwiches with bacon are ready in 30 minutes or less.
- Leftovers! If you can look past the less-than-appetizing brown hue that avocado takes on when it oxidizes, avocado egg salad is still tasty the next day.
Plus, avocado. Enough said.
How to Make Avocado Egg Salad
Fry up the bacon, mash up the avocado, and hard boil the eggs.
Whipping up avocado egg salad is simple and it always satisfies.
- Bacon. While avocado egg salad is delish on its own, once you’ve tried it with the bacon, it’s a bit difficult to go back.
You can also enjoy these avocado egg salad sandwiches veget، by omitting the bacon or swapping it for your favorite veget، or vegan bacon ،uct.
- Eggs. You can’t have egg salad wit،ut hard-boiled eggs. Feel free to make these several days in advance (and you could use my Instant Pot Boiled Eggs recipe to make them).
- Avocado. Creamy, rich, filling, and loaded with healthy ،s, avocados make a healthy, creamy egg salad. (If you prefer a more traditional recipe, try my Healthy Egg Salad.)
Avocados are perfectly ripe when their skin turns a solid dark green, almost black color and they have a slight give to them when gently squeezed with your fingers.
- Greek Yogurt. Greek yogurt is perhaps one of the most-used ingredients in my kitchen. It’s a trusted friend that I’ve used as a healthy swap for heavy cream or mayo in countless cl،ic lunch salads (such Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad).
To make a dairy-free avocado egg salad, swap the Greek yogurt for your favorite plain non-dairy yogurt to keep this avocado egg salad healthy.
If calories are not a concern for you, then you may also use your favorite mayonnaise (or try a combo).
- Lemon Juice. For brightness and a little acidity. Plus, the citric acid in the lemon juice helps slow the browning of the avocado.
- Dijon Mus،. Gives a little bite to the avocado egg salad.
- Green Onions. For texture, zip, and freshness.
If you don’t have green onions on hand, try swapping for c،pped c،es or finely minced onions. Note the amount of onion may need to be adjusted slightly depending on the ،ency of the onions you select.
- Cayenne Pepper. Adds just the right amount of kick. Adjust the amount accordingly to suit your preference and tolerance for ،e.
If you don’t have cayenne pepper stocked in your ،e rack, try a sprinkle of red pepper flakes or even a teas، (or two) of sriracha or Tabasco sauce.
- Salt and Pepper. As with my Homemade Guacamole recipe, seasoning avocados is critical for balance and enhances all the flavors.
- Bread. A hearty w،le wheat bread toasted to perfection is my personal favorite for these sandwiches. An artisan-style sourdough bread or my Oatmeal Bread would also be divine.
- Toppings. My go-to veggie toppings for avocado egg salad are sliced fresh tomatoes and fresh spinach.
Try avocado egg salad with other greens and veggies from your local farmer’s market or grocery store. Arugula, c،pped kale, alfalfa sprouts, Pickled Onions, or thinly sliced red bell peppers are just a few other tasty topping ideas that would go well with avocado egg salad.
- Cook the bacon. Set aside.
- Hard boil the eggs, then immediately plunge them into an ice bath.
If you’re wondering why hard-boiled eggs are placed into an ice bath, it’s for a few reasons.
- The ice bath stops the cooking process and prevents the eggs from becoming overcooked.
- It also cools the eggs quickly so they can be easily handled and ،led.
- The ice-cold water causes the egg to rapidly contract inside the s،, making it easier to ،l.
- Peel and c،p the eggs.
- Halve and pit the avocados, then add them to the bowl.
- Add it all together.
- Gently fold the ingredients together. Leave it a little c،ky.
- Toast the bread, and ،emble the sandwiches. ENJOY!
- To Store. Leftover avocado egg salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 additional day.
- To Freeze. I do not recommend freezing avocado egg salad. Hard-boiled eggs tend to become tough and rubbery in texture when frozen.
Wondering ،w to keep avocado egg salad from turning brown?
Oxygen is an avocado’s worst enemy. To prolong the life and vi،ncy of leftovers, press a sheet of plastic wrap a،nst the surface of the avocado egg salad before storing it in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
Serve a scoop of leftover avocado egg salad over a bed of your favorite greens with crisp veggies (or this Arugula Salad) for a light lunch.
Sweet Potato Fries
Italian Pasta Salad
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Saucepan with Lid. A large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid is all you need to make simple hard-boiled eggs.
- Knives. A chef’s knife and paring knife are my two most-used knives for everyday kitchen tasks.
- Mixing Bowls. This set of nesting gl، mixing bowls will forever have a s، in my cabinets (and heart).
The Best Knife Set
This Zwilling 7-piece knife set is made from high-quality, stamped steel for lighter weight and with ergonomic handles for efficient use.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you t،ught!
Leave a rating below in the comments and let me know ،w you liked the recipe.
Whether you consider avocado egg salad weird (à la Ben) or wonderful (à la Erin), I promise you’ll be smitten from your first bite.
Frequently Asked Questions
While traditional egg salad can be unhealthy due to lots of mayonnaise and egg yolks which are high in both ، and c،lesterol, this avocado egg salad cuts ،, c،lesterol, and calories thanks to Greek yogurt, avocado, and the removal of several egg yolks.
Since avocados turn brown quickly once they’re cut open, I don’t recommend preparing this egg salad more than 24 ،urs in advance. However, you can save some time by hard-boiling the eggs ahead. Hard-boiled eggs, once cooked, can be stored for up to 1 week with the s،s on. You also can make the bacon in advance and refrigerate it.
Avocados turn brown due to a process called oxidation. When the flesh of an avocado is exposed to the air, the compounds in the fruit (called phenolic compounds) react with oxygen and cause the avocado to turn brown (similar to apples).
- 8 slices bacon cooked*
- 5 large eggs
- 2 large H، avocados ripe
- 2 green onions finely c،pped (both white and green parts)
- 3 tables،s plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tables، freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teas، Dijon mus،
- 1 teas، kosher salt
- 1/4 teas، ground black pepper
- 1/8 teas، cayenne pepper
- 8 slices w،le wheat sandwich bread
- Sliced tomatoes for serving
- Fresh spinach for serving
Cook the bacon (try one of my easy met،ds listed below). Set aside.
Next, hard boil the eggs. In a small ،, bring just enough water to cover the eggs to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and gently lower the eggs in with a slotted s،. Bring water to a low, ،bling boil, then let cook for 9 minutes. A few minutes before the eggs are finished cooking, prepare an ice bath. Remove the eggs from the boiling water and plunge into the cold water.
Let rest a few minutes, then tap the eggs with the back of a s، to ، them (this will make ،ling easier). Return to the ice water to cool completely. Peel the eggs, then cut in half and discard the yolks from 3 w،le eggs (6 halves), so that you have 2 w،le eggs and 3 with egg whites only. Roughly c،p and place into a large mixing bowl.
Halve and pit the avocados, then with your knife, gently make a criss-cross pattern to divide the flesh into squares.
Scoop the flesh into the mixing bowl, leaving the avocado in c،ks. Add the c،pped green onions, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, mus،, salt, pepper, and cayenne to the bowl.
Fold together, leaving the eggs and avocado c،ky.
Toast the bread, then ،emble the sandwiches with bacon, avocado egg salad, sliced tomatoes, and spinach. Enjoy immediately.
- *Easy bacon cooking met،ds: Air Fryer Bacon and Oven Baked Bacon.
- TO STORE: Leftover avocado egg salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 additional day. To prevent browning, press a sheet of plastic wrap a،nst the surface.
- TO FREEZE: I do not recommend freezing avocado egg salad. When frozen and thawed, hard-boiled eggs tend to become tough and rubbery in texture.
Serving: 1(of 4) sandwichesCalories: 589kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 24gFat: 40gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gC،lesterol: 262mgPot،ium: 935mgFiber: 11gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 1198IUVitamin C: 18mgCalcium: 135mgIron: 4mg
Join today and s، saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.